Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Teacher Losing Voice

I am a kindergarten teacher and I basically loose my voice weekly. I normally talk loudly and in class I talk all day and we sing a lot! I tend to use my voice to control their voices during these kinds of activities. Usually by Thursday my voice is hoarse and I can't talk without straining it. By Monday it's back to normal but it is an ongoing cycle. Could I be causing permanent damage?

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies... 

There are many reasons why you may be experiencing this chronic cycle of voice loss. Teachers are especially at risk for developing something called vocal cord nodules, benign callous-like lesions that are very often the result of voice overuse/ misuse. Vocal cord nodules, or any benign traumatic lesion, may lead to permanent vocal change if left untreated. I would suggest that you see an Ear, Nose, and Throat physician for an evaluation and treatment recommendations.
Best of luck to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment