Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Off Pitch

I have an issue that many have not been able to diagnosis. I have even been to an ENT doctor, but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong physically.

The problem is that sometimes, when I am performing in a public place, I cannot hear that I am on the wrong pitch. And at first I didn't even believe I was off when the band director told me.  It wasn't until I saw the video that I accepted it.  You see, in my mind, when I was singing off tune, I felt I was singing right. And since the first occurrence, it has continued to happen and I don't know why.

And it is not that I cannot hear myself, because I can hear myself perfectly in the monitors. I just think that I am on the right note. Do you have any suggestions?

Joanna Lott, M.A., CCC-SLP replies...

Interesting question. Other than a possible problem with your hearing (which you might want to investigate at a hearing clinic) I wonder if your voice teacher could help you with elevating your soft palate during singing. This can help prevent you from singing just “under the note” -- even when you think you’re not. If lifting the soft palate is an unfamiliar concept, seek out a voice teacher with an understanding of the anatomy and physiology of the voice. I hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment