Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Loss of Voice/Hoarseness

Hx status asthmaticus, 2 recent intubations and now on Advair 500 twice daily. Out of hospital 2 weeks, ENT visualized vocal chords and no problems. Why am I still hoarse/raspy? These were my first intubations, both emergent/RSI. How concerned should I be? How long for return of my voice as I sing and can no longer do so?

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies...
A history of intubation would certainly put you at risk for swelling and inflammation of the vocal folds or even the development of a traumatic lesion such as a granuloma, although I would also be looking for subtle motion impairment that can also result from an emergent intubation. In addition, you also are at risk for swelling/ irritation and even fungal injection from use of an inhalant such as Advair. Ask your ENT about all of these possibilities, as they can all contribute to chronic hoarse vocal quality.

Best of luck to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment