Thursday, October 4, 2012

Hoarse Voice

I had surgery over a month ago. Had a breathing tube in for 2 and a half hours during this time. I woke up with a sore and hoarse throat. I was told this would lessen a couple of days. Voice is still hoarse. Went to s ENT doctor and was told I have scar tissue on my vocal cord due to acid reflux. My question is if I didn't t have this before survey how can it be acid reflux when it happened after the breathing tube was put in?

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies... 

It is difficult to say... it is certainly possible that you had some pre-existing vocal fold changes secondary to acid reflux that were aggravated by the temporary swelling caused by the endotracheal tube. If you are not confident in the diagnosis made by your physician, I would recommend that you seek out a second opinion with a laryngologist (an ENT who specializes in voice disorders).

 Good luck to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment