Monday, October 29, 2012

Can I Sing High Again?

I'm 22yrs old and I sing in church. I've had over five endoscopy's in the past two and a half years due to my trachea closing up on me and now when I sing my voice is very low.  I cannot sing high and I have Wegeners Disease. Will I ever sing high again? 

Lee M. Akst, M.D. replies...
Truly impossible to say what is going on here. I'm guessing, and it's only a guess, based on your few sentences, that you have subglottic stenosis and have required dilation. It's conceivable that airway stenosis or TVC scar may present a structural limit on high pitch; it's also possible that dome of this is functional. You should address your concerns with the surgeon who has been performing your endoscopy.

Joanna Lott, M.A., CCC-SLP replies...
I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your singing voice. Though I can't say for sure without seeing you, I would guess that you may have some scarring of your true vocal folds which is making it difficult for you to reach your high notes. If that is the case (and I can't know for sure) you may benefit from examination and treatment by a laryngologist. Voice therapy may also be helpful, though scarring can be difficult to treat. If you are not being followed closely for the tracheal stenosis, I recommend that you find a surgeon to treat you for this. Meanwhile, if you are concerned that there is something going on other than the tracheal stenosis, I hope you will follow up with a laryngologist.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment