Monday, September 17, 2012

Unidentified Voice Problem

I am suffering from a voice problem since more than 10 years. I am 25 year old (male), and I can speak in 2 tones. The usual voice in which I am comfortable is a bit girlish and has a very low scale, means if I am in a noisy environment, the other person will not be able to hear me. Some times my voice skips when I talk. My second voice is very deep and loud. But if I talk too much in my deep voice, my head starts paining. Also if I sing in my low scale voice, I can perfectly maintain tempo, but in my deep voice I can't. Can you please explain the reason, and diagnose this problem?

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies...

I would first suggest that you seek out an evaluation with a laryngologist (an Ear, Nose, and Throat physician with specialized training in voice disorders) in order to determine if there are any anatomic or physiologic factors contributing to your vocal difficulties. If your larynx is determined to be structurally normal, you may be experiencing what is referred to as "puberphonia." Puberphonia is the persistence of abnormally high pitched voice following the onset of puberty, and can often be successfully treated in voice therapy with a speech pathologist. 

Good luck to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment