Monday, September 10, 2012

Strep Throat

I've been getting chronic strep throat since about December of last year. This past summer I was planning on getting my tonsils out but the doctor was telling me that my voice will change, and he "didn't think" it would effect my falsetto range. I have a wonderfully developed falsetto range that I value very much. I put the surgery on hold. Well, I have strep throat again and I just have to ask, do you think getting my tonsils out will have any adverse effects on my singing voice? Thank you!

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies...

It is unlikely that you would experience any long-term vocal changes as a consequence of your tonsillectomy. Short-term vocal changes, particularly altered resonance (because of the change in the contours of the vocal tract after removing the tonsils) and possibly hoarseness (secondary to the potential for vocal fold swelling/ inflammation from endotracheal tube placement during the surgery) may occur. These short-term changes most often resolve with time.

Best of luck to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment