Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Born With a Raspy Hoarse Voice

I was born with a raspy and hoarse voice. I never thought about it much until recently now that I feel shortness of breath especially when I am trying to speak in a loud tone of voice. I am very embarrassed of my voice even though men compliment it often. I am very ashamed of how I sound, but what worries me is that in order to be heard by a group of people I feel I have to talk loud and even then I sound low. It is rare since I can actually yell but when I speak my voice varies and I feel like I am forcing my throat when I want to be heard by people. Do you know why I have this problem? What can I do to correct it?

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies... 

There are any number of possible explanations for your vocal symptoms, for example, vocal cord motion impairment, presence of a lesion, etc. The only way to determine the cause of your voice difficulties and appropriate treatment strategies is to be evaluated by an Ear, Nose, and Throat physician. 

Best of luck to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment