Thursday, August 16, 2012

Singing Voice Cracking/Jumping Off Notes

Hi. I usually sing for about 4 hours a day, sometimes 5. Two days ago I sang for maybe 10 hours because I wrote a new song. I noticed my throat was getting dry and my voice getting a bit weak but I kept singing because I wanted to get the new song right. Yesterday, during my voice exercises, my voice kept jumping off notes, suddenly shooting higher. Even on relatively low notes. It's like my voice hits a dry patch in my throat and then jumps up. So I rested. Today the same thing happened. So I'm still resting my voice. I don't feel any pain, my voice is not hoarse. My throat doesn't even feel dry, except, like I mentioned, when I sing and the note jumps. Should I be doing anything besides resting my voice? Thanks.

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies...

You are certainly at risk for certain vocal fold damage from chronic "overuse" of the voice. Continue to exercise vocal rest and hygiene, with a slow return to singing. If symptoms persist for more than one-two weeks, an evaluation by an Ear, Nose, and Throat physician is warranted. For more detailed information regarding vocal health and hygiene, please see our web pages at
http://www.gbmc.org/home_voicecenter.cfm?id=1558 and http://www.gbmc.org/home_voicecenter.cfm?id=1561.

Good luck to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment