Monday, August 13, 2012


I sing in my local choir for the past few months. I haven't been able to sing like I normally do. My voice gets hoarse and I can feel my glands swell after unrest.  The swelling is gone but when I sing again the hoarseness comes and my voice gets groggy.  What should I do?

Barbara P. Messing, M.A., CCC-SLP, BRS-S replies...

My recommendation to you is to locate an Otolaryngologist and Voice Clinician/Speech Pathologist in your area and request an evaluation. They should image your larynx/voice box with laryngeal stroboscopy and evaluate your vocal behaviors, vocal health, usage and medical history. From that evaluation you should receive recommendations on how to best treat your vocal problems. 

You may be able to locate an Otolaryngologist or Laryngologist in your area by using out National Referral Database. Go to: or to go directly to the National Referral Database list.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Best wishes,


No comments:

Post a Comment