Monday, June 4, 2012

Male with Female Sounding Voice

I am a man of 22 years and when I attend any phone call, the other person thinks that I am a girl.  Sometimes it is difficult for me to attend any phone call.  What can I do for this?

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies... 

I would recommend an evaluation by an Ear, Nose, and Throat physician to rule out the possibility that something structural/ functional is contributing to your symptoms. In the absence of anatomic or physiologic abnormality, abnormally high pitch in young men is often referred to a "puberphonia," and can be treated in voice therapy with a speech pathologist who specializes in the treatment of voice disorders.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment