Thursday, June 14, 2012

Loss of Singing Vocal Range

I recently suffered from a sore throat, chronic cough and loss of voice for one week. I am a teacher however, and was forced to talk and yell with grating vocal chords during that week. Now that the soreness is gone, my singing sounds breathy, my high vocal range is gone (when I try to sing, it goes silent and sounds like I am hissing air) and my vocals sound like there is a harsh whisper mixed in with them. How can I regain my rich full tone with no breathless sounds and reach my high vocal range again?

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies....
To determine how you might regain your vocal quality and pitch range, you must first determine the cause of your ongoing symptoms. Although some degree of change in vocal quality or performance is expected in the setting of an upper respiratory infection such as you describe, persistent vocal symptoms after the sore throat, cough, etc. have resolved should be evaluated by an Ear, Nose, and Throat physician. Once an ENT determines the reason for your vocal difficulties, appropriate treatment can be recommended. Best of luck to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment