Sunday, June 24, 2012

Laser Surgery on Vocal Cord

I had a polyp on my left vocal cord, the ENT did laser surgery and now my voice is very hoarse. Why didn't he prescribe speech therapy, being that he and I knew that my voice could be hoarse, and that he knew I am a teacher? Thanks!!! P.S. Can it still be reversed, my hoarseness?

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP replies....

Voice therapy with a speech pathologist can help to speed healing following vocal cord surgery. I cannot say why voice therapy was not recommended; this would be a question for your physician.  

There are many reasons for hoarseness following phonosurgery, including swelling / inflammation as part of the normal healing process, any residual lesion, scarring, or strain/ functional dysphonia. Voice therapy can be helpful in reducing post-operative swelling and any functional strain/ compression of laryngeal muscles contributing to persistent hoarseness. If scarring or if any polyp remaining is the primary reason for the ongoing hoarseness, additional surgery may be an option; discuss this with your surgeon.

Best of luck to you.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles.

    ReplyDelete