Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Mucous in Throat

Should I be concerned when there is mucous present in the throat which requires me to clear my throat often. If I feel that there is a lump in my throat for longer than a month should I be concerned? Can post nasal drip be a factor?

Melissa Kim, M.S., CCC-SLP replies...

There are any number of reasons for the sensation of excessive mucous in the throat, lump (globus), and frequent throat clearing. A very common explanation for these symptoms is laryngopharyngeal reflux, irritation to the larynx from acid exposure, which often occurs even in the absence of symptoms such as heartburn, indigestion, etc.

I would suggest that you see an Ear, Nose, and Throat physician for an evaluation.

Good luck to you,

Melissa Kim M.S., CCC-SLP
Speech Pathology Coordinator

No comments:

Post a Comment