Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Glottal Fry

Could you address glottal fry and how effective is therapeutic invention (29 yr old male)? What diagnostic procedures are involved? There is no Reflux condition. Thanks...

Melissa Kim, M.S., CCC-SLP replies...

Anyone experiencing a persistent voice change should be evaluated by an Ear, Nose, and Throat physician, who will most likely visualize the vocal cords using a flexible or rigid endoscope. In the case of glottal fry, we often observe hyperfunction, or excessive strain, of the laryngeal musculature. Glottal fry is the lowest register of the voice, in other words, the voice produced at the lowest end of one's pitch range. Because persistent glottal fry is most often associated with inappropriately low pitch or loudness of the voice, voice therapy primarily targets behavioral modification of pitch and loudness. Voice therapy with an experienced speech pathologist, which is the only treatment available to treat habitual glottal fry, is very effective in most cases.

Best of luck to you.

Melissa Kim, M.S., CCC-SLP
Speech Pathology Coordinator

No comments:

Post a Comment